I had the opportunity to compete for FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America) in the Star Events Program. (info on what i did in blog below) We got to go the Layton from Tues-Thurs, and stayed in the Hilton Gardens Hotel. It was soo fun. On Tues we left right after school to Layton. We all went out for dinner at Golden Corral down the street, and we had free time left over. I called my friend who I hadn't seen for the longest and see if wanted to go out. So came and got me, and we just chilled in car til it was time to go back to the hotel.
The next day was the star events competition. I was DEATHLY nervous. I just BARELY finished my portfolio the morning of. My mind was ridiculously scatter brained, and I forgot so many things to bring. As I was sitting there waiting to go in front of the judges; I was talking to all my other competitors, and I knew I was going to do HORRIBLE. Their portfolios were AMAZING! There pictures were all cutely scrap booked, their papers were amazingly decorated, and their dividers were amazing too. And here I come with old dividers, my pictures were taped to plain white pieces of paper, and it just looked sooo plain compared to everyone else. At first I wanted to win 1st and go to Nationals, but after seeing their portfolio's I just wanted to get it all done and over with and just play.
I was second in line. The girl that went before me set the bar soo high. Her portfolio was amazing, and she just seemed like a very professional person. But I went into the room doing the best that I can. The read my binder 10 min. previous to my oral presentation. I knew my portfolio was NOTHING compared to all the other girls, so I had to win the judges over by my speech. I think they were won over by this..
"... Teaching is I believe, one of the most IMPORTANT career anyone can ever have. It is through teachers we know the basics of life. We wouldn't be able to read, write, or add, and subtract. Teachers help student's reach their full potential. And this is why I want to become a teacher. I want to be that person in someone's life who has made them who they are. I want to be able to help someone be all that they can be. I want to be that positive influence in a child's life... People asked me if I was scared or nervous before I went up in front of the class to teach them. The teacher warned me that first graders are not afraid to hold back in negative comments they have to say about the lesson. But I was neither nervous or scared. I was excited. I was anxious. The moment I stepped up in front of the students and started my lesson; I have never felt more comfortable. I knew that this job, this career, is something I was made to do. Teaching is something that is meant for me... There will be times where your hopes get low. You feel exhausted and become overwhelmed in so many things. You want to give up because things get hard. But then you remember why you became a teacher. You wanted to help students learn and grow. You wanted them to feel like they were on top of the world because they learned and did something right. You wanted to help them accomplish anything that they put their mind too. And then you know that everything you have done as a teacher is something well worth it."
When they called my name. "Receiving Gold in Senior Occupational from Mt. View High School, ALILIA LAVAKI." You wouldn't believe how shocked I was. It was funny because each category had to line up by the stage in recieve their award. And you have to understand that EVERYONE gets a medal. Some get bronze, silver or gold. But only the one with the highest score, the 1st place winner, gets to go to Nationals. So the category I was competing in, Teach and Train. Was the very last category. They announced everyone in my category, and were getting to move on. And here I am and three other people just standing there like uhh wait.. You didn't call us. So I was like oh great!! Did I really do that horrible that I don't even get a medal! So I'm standing up there looking like a fool while they have to pull out a computer to see where I placed. Then they were like oh yeah.. "Receiving Gold in Senior Occupational from Mt.View High School Alilia Lavaki." But I still didn't know I had won nationals yet. They hadn't announced it. Then they were like "for teach and Train first place going to nationals Alilia Lavaki." I was speechless. I didn't even think I did that great. But I guess it pays to be humble and know how to speak in public.
I CANT WAIT TO GO TO NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE. My school district pays for flight, hotel, and all registration for Nationals. All I have to worry about is spending money. THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN. (:
touch tv show netflix
3 years ago



3 comments:
I found your blog thru various other blogs. I hope you don't mind me commenting. I have a private blog, so if your interested in contacting me and be invited to read my blog, my email address is hoconnor2008@yahoo.com.
I'm really proud of you and I'm so happy that you did well. Your speech was amazing!
Heather
Thank you heather!! I was honestly surprised on how well put together my speech was. lol and my email address is nina_lavaki@hotmail.com so add me to your blog!
Post a Comment